Kmart History | Search Archives | Sears Holdings Alumni  | sears.com  | kmart.com  
   Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014  
History Catalogs Homes Products Brands Stores People
  Stores
Store Histories
  ⋅  Sears first stores
  ⋅  Chicago: Oldest operating stores
  ⋅  Chicago: Irving Park Store
  ⋅  Indiana: Evansville
  ⋅  Iowa: Mason City
  ⋅  Massachusetts
  ⋅  New York
  ⋅  North Carolina
  ⋅  Texas: Dallas and Fort Worth
Store History Q&A
  ⋅  When did Sears open its first store?
Image of a Kansas City store
Current Store Formats
Locate a Sears store today
Full-line stores (in the mall)
Sears Grand

The Dallas Catalog Merchandise Distribution Center opened in 1906 as the first Sears, Roebuck and Co. operation outside of Chicago. Richard Sears wanted to open a company operation in Texas because so many orders were coming from the state. Sears issued a Sears, Roebuck and Co. Dallas, Texas version of the catalog. At first the Dallas plant was just a small office. All orders sent to the Dallas officer were actually filled in Chicago. In 1908 Sears built a full-scale catalog and merchandise distribution plant in Dallas, so orders sent to the Dallas mail order office were shipped from there. This plant was so successful that Sears opened Catalog Merchandise Distribution Centers in Seattle, Philadelphia, and Boston.

The Sears Dallas Catalog and Merchandise Distribution Center building still stands today. It has been renovated into a mixed-use office complex.

Dallas Stores
                
Fort Worth Stores
     
  Casa View     "B" store on Gus Thomasson Road, opened 1964.
     

  Lamar  

"A" and "B" store attached to the Dallas CMDC, opened 1925, remodeled 1963, closed 1984

     

  Oak Cliff  

"A" store on W. Jefferson Ave., opened 1928, remodeled 1961, relocated 1948 and 1975

     

  Red Bird  

"A" store on W. Camp Wisdom Road, opened 1948, relocated 1975

     

  Ross  

"A" store on Ross Ave., opened 1947, closed 1993

     

  Valley View  

"A" store on Preston Road, opened, 1965, remodeled 1973

     

  Webb’s Chapel  

"B" store on Webb’s Chapel Road, opened 1973

     

  Westcliff Mall  

On Hampton Road and Ledbetter Drive, opened 1963

  Alta Vista   Store on Beach Street and Loop 820
     

  Ridgmar   "A" store on Green Oaks Road, opened 1977
     

  Seminary South   "A" store on Seminary South Road, opened 1962

 

 
  Copyright © 2014. Sears Brands, LLC. All rights reserved.  Contact   Updated: Mar 21, 2012